This April, Red Bank’s food-focused destination GRUB is joining forces with city-centre neighbourhood KAMPUS for a month-long event incorporating everything Manchester is great at: food, drink, partying and live entertainment.
The programme features recognisable faces from the local food scene, many of whom originally found their feet over at GRUB – a place that’s known for championing the very best of the city’s up and coming independent businesses.
Across the 22 day shindig, various street-food favourites will host kitchen takeovers, including; Osaka Local, Eat Like a Greek, Desert Island Dumplings and Nina’s Taco Truck. As well as this, CAFF, GRUB’s friendly local butty pop-up that spends the majority of its week slinging out lunchtime sandwiches over at Tony Wilson Place, will take over the event every Sunday, serving traditional breakfasts and healing hangovers aplenty.
Leeds-born North Brewing Co, that recently opened a bar at Manchester’s Circle Square, will also pop-up at GRUB & Friends to pour its range of locally brewed lagers and ales. North launched the UK’s first ever craft beer bar in Leeds back in 1997 and has grown exponentially since, opening a dedicated brewery space back in 2015.
Kampus’ Bungalow that sits alongside the canal in the middle of the neighbourhood will host the GRUB & Friends takeover from Wednesday – Sunday each week, starting from Wednesday 5 April. The kitchen and bar will open from 5pm, coinciding with a huge programme of events commissioned for the month-long takeover.
Some of the confirmed performances include Edinburgh Fringe previews from comedians Stevie Martin, Chris Cantrill, Adam Riches and Jain Edwards, alongside craft workshops from the likes of Manchester Macramé Co and events curated by CULTPLEX, GRUB’s in-house cinema. These include the Manchester Ameteur Gaming League (MAGL), an RIP Vine quiz show, KERRANG-EOKE and more.
Another noteworthy date is the GRUB & Friends Bank Holiday BBQ party that will take place on Easter Monday (10 April), running from 12pm. The takeover will then conclude with a day party on the 1 May, seeing the best of Manchester’s craft beer and street food scene joined by entertainers and (hopefully) a bit of sunshine.
Speaking ahead of the event, Jason Bailey, owner and director of GRUB said: “We are so excited to be bringing this slice of everything great happening at GRUB HQ on Red Bank to one of our favourite city centre spots. KAMPUS is already filled with smashing food and drink folks, so it should be an absolute winner with our popup bar, street food and events on top!”
GRUB & Friends’ full event listings throughout April:
- Wednesday 5 – Chris Cantrill & Jain Edwards
- Thursday 6 – Plant hanger workshop
- Friday 7 – Life drawing with HOP
- Saturday 8 – Watercolour painting breakfast club & GRUB’s bottomless brunch
- Sunday 9 – CULTPLEX Presents: RIPVine
- Monday 10 – GRUB’s Bank Holiday BBQ
- Wednesday 12 – Adam Riches & Stevie Martin
- Thursday 13 – Necklace workshop
- Friday 14 – Linocut printmaking
- Saturday 15 – GRUB’s bottomless brunch
- Sunday 16 – Manchester Amateur Gaming League
- Wednesday 19 – Hannah Platt & Dan Tiernan
- Thursday 20 – KERRANG-EOKE
- Friday 21 – Sip & Paint
- Saturday 22 – GRUB’s bottomless brunch
- Sunday 23 – CULTPLEX’s quiz show
- Wednesday 26 – Tadiwa Mahlunge & Paddy Young
- Thursday 27 – GRUB’s Fizzy Quizzy
- Friday 28 – Japanese painting
- Saturday 29 – Dreamcatcher workshop & GRUB’s Bottomless Brunch
- Sunday 30 – CULTPLEX’s party game party
- Monday 1 May – Bank Holiday day party