Barbacoa Jackfruit Tacos from El Marchador
(Serves two hungry people)
2x Cans of Jackfruit in brine
1x Large white onion, diced
2x Cloves Garlic
2x tsp. paprika
2x tsp. cumin seeds
3x tbsp. barbeque sauce
1/4 x Pineapple
1/2 x bunch spring onion
2 x limes
Bunched radishes (to taste)
Corriander (to taste)
6 x Corn Tortillas
- Slice onions & garlic, fry gently in a little vegetable oil until soft.
- Add the paprika & cumin seeds, stirring regularly cook for a further couple of minutes.
- Add BBQ sauce and as much or as little as your favourite hot sauce as you want (remember it’s easy to add more, but a bit trickier to take it out…) & turn the heat down low.
- Strain the jackfruit and discard the liquid, break up the chunks either with your hands or chop through them with a knife, add to the sauce mix, stir thoroughly & put a lid on.
- Peel the pineapple & discard the core, then chop finely. Ditto the spring onions. Mix them together & season with a pinch of salt & the juice of a lime then set aside.
- Stir the jackfruit mix & season with hot sauce and salt as needed.
- Thinly slice radishes & pick coriander leaves.
- When the jackfruit is soft and bubbling away (15-20 mins) you’re ready to rock!
- Warm your tortillas as directed on the packet, top with the jackfruit (remember you’ve got to be able to get it in your mouth!) add pineapple salsa on top and garnish with radishes & coriander. Serve with a lime wedge on the side.
Make these for yourself, or if you can’t be arsed- head on over to the lovely people at El Marchador Tacos at Hatch and try them without the washing up.
Hatch, Oxford Road, Manchester, M1 7ED