To officially mark a new year of the Zodiac calendar, The Year of the Ox, Chopstix Noodle Bar has invented a unique way to celebrate, inventing the world’s first ever Wok Pan Pizza!
Created especially for the occasion, the Chopstix Wok Pan Pizza can be created at home, the perfect treat to celebrate Chinese New Year.
Crafted from pizza dough gently heated in a wok, before adding tomato sauce, teriyaki beef and grated mozzarella, the Chopstix Wok Pan Pizza will be sure to bring good luck to the year ahead.
The ox is the second animal in the lunar calendar. According to a Chinese myth, the animals were decided in the other in which they arrived at a party thrown by the Jade Emperor. In Chinese culture, the Ox is a valued animal, with its role in agriculture, positive characteristics and hardworking and honest nature.
Speaking about the creation of the Wok Pan Pizza, Ian Moore, development chef at Chopstix said: “Chinese New Year will look a bit different this year with us all stuck at home so we wanted to welcome in the Year of The Ox with something fun everyone can create, plus create a world first! The Chopstix Wok Pan Pizza is so simple to make but looks and tastes incredible, the only question is wok will we come up with next!”
Chopstix Wok Pan Pizza
– Rolling pin
– Vegetable oil
– 400g tin chopped tomatoes
– Mixed dried herbs
– Grated mozzarella
– Pizza dough – You can use pre-made dough, packet dough mix or whatever recipe suits your dietary needs for your base, you can create ‘Wok’ ever suits you best!
– Chopstix Teriyaki Beef (recipe below)
1. Create your dough – if it needs time to prove then you have time to create your sauce and the beef teriyaki, we used the beef teriyaki whilst it was still hot as it helped with melting the cheese.
2. Make the tomato sauce by blending together the chopped tomatoes with a good pinch of salt, pepper and dried mixed herbs to create a smooth sauce.
3. Create your beef teriyaki as per the separate recipe and keep warm.
4. Roll out or stretch your dough to approx. 10”-12” depending on the size of your wok.
5. Drizzle a teaspoon of veg oil into your wok and use a piece of kitchen roll to spread it around to help create a non-stick coating.
6. Heat the wok on a low/medium heat, once heated add your stretched out dough to the wok.
7. Increase the heat slightly taking care not to burn the dough, cook for 1-2 minutes before turning over depending on the thickness of your dough base.
8. Once turned over, lower the heat and then spread approx. 2 tbsp of the tomato sauce over the base (add more if you need/want to).
9. Spoon half of the cooked beef teriyaki evenly across the pizza and sprinkle over the mozzarella.
10. Increase the heat to continue cooking the base through.
11. You can either put a lid on the wok or place under a grill to finish melting the cheese. Once cooked, slide the pizza from the wok, slice it and in the “click of your sticks” you can enjoy!
Chopstix Teriyaki Beef
– 8oz/227g – Rump Steak
– 15ml Vegetable Oil
– 1/2 Mixed peppers – diced
– 1/2 Large onion – diced
– 5g Garlic – chopped
– 5g Ginger – chopped
– 5g Red Chilli – thinly sliced
– ½ tsp Crushed Chilli Flakes
– Pinch of Salt
– 5g Sugar
– 100ml Teriyaki Sauce
– 75ml Water
– 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
– 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
– 1 tsp sugar
– 1/2 tsp Pepper
1. Trim any excess fat from the steak.
2. Mix the soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar and pepper together.
3. Cover the steak with the marinade, cover and place in the fridge 30-60 mins.
4. Slice the steak into strips, this will depend on how thick your steak is as to how thin you cut it.
5. Add the oil to the wok and heat, once hot add the peppers and onion and start to fry.
6. As the peppers and onions start to colour add the ginger and garlic and fry a little longer.
7. Add the sliced steak to the wok, tumble the steak well to get it sealed well then add the red chilli.
8. Add the teriyaki sauce to the wok, add the sugar, crushed chilli and pinch of salt and mix thoroughly.
9. Add the water to the wok, bring to the boil and reduce the heat a little.
10. Continue to simmer to reduce the sauce down to your liking.
Chopstix is focused on delivering a faster, fresher, tastier alternative to the high street. Wok Master chefs deliver nourishing noodles, wholesome chicken, beautiful beef and perfect prawns with fresh vegetables and superb sauces to make Chopstix the ‘go to guys’ for boxed fresh flavour. You can find us in over 60 locations throughout the UK.